Saturday 29 March 2008

Cruising Instructor


After Easter I went on another RYA course with Cornish Cruising in Falmouth. http://www.cornishcruising.com/home

This time it was to train as an instructor. When we take groups as part of our new sailing ministry ('Serendipity Sailing' we call it), developed during my sabbatical last year, instructing is always part of my role. So I was keen to develop the right skills and have my progress assessed.

There were four of us Yachtmasters being coached in instructing skills by Nick, a Yachtmaster instructor with whom I had sailing from Falmouth to London last year.

We sailed in the Falmouth area going no further than Turnaware (by Trelissic), Helford, St Mawes and Portscatho. Most of the time we were honing teaching and coaching skills for boat handing, navigation, pilotage, sailing, safety proceedures and crew management.

We had some great sailing due to strong winds and sunshine although the cold wind was from the north but that meant calm seas.

It was very satisfying for us all to pass and I learnt new skills and felt stretched and challenged by it all.

I am looking forward to putting it all into practice!

No comments: