Saturday 19 May 2007

Reading at Mylor


After 'Wild Betony' and roaming the Western Channel for a week I had a lovely quite week at Mylor, resting, reading and walking.

Not having a car and with the internet down it was a real retreat!

Apart from my Yachtmaster revision, for which I seem to have endless books and articles now, I also explored several devotional books on leading and creating retreats.

Currently my practice with each crew is to take them through the Daily Devotions (morning and evening) from the New Zealand Prayer book. This is very popular as the prayers are timeless and very creative. The themes are based on a different part of the Lord's Prayer each day.

In addition we read portions of other devotional books. My favourite at present, for obvious reasons, is "At Sea with God" by Margaret Silf (DLT). It has been amazing how apt her observations have been to our daily experience on the boats. I have also been reading her book on making a retreat "Soul Space" (SPCK).

Another book that has been great to dip into for group and individual readings has been Exploring Celtic Spirituality (Kevin Mayhem) by Ray Simpson of Lindisfarne. Being subject to wind and tide and using the Maori influenced NZPB is all very Celtic! I also love reading snippets from "Wisdom of the Sadhu" (Plough) and I have been rereading The Wild Gospel by Alison Morgan (Monarch).